Find the Fun Productions believes that DVD media is the first line of offense to engage students and ignite the information imbedded in text. For DVD media to be engaging it must be relevant to students’ present-day lives, entertaining, and interactive. The combination of all three creates visceral media. Reach students viscerally and cognitive learning will follow. This, in turn, promotes more effective student understanding and retention of information.
Standards Based Learning supports the National History Standards
- Chronological Thinking – This video clip summary demonstrates the chronology of events in the American Colonies from tobacco to slavery, to smuggling and early American commerce, to British soldiers and dissension.
- Comprehension/Analysis – Seeing Lincoln on a balance board. Listening to his struggle is a powerful way to understand and analyze the President’s political hardships.
- Source Documentation – From dire conditions in Jamestown, to the words of Frederick Douglass, to the words of a boy swept up in Secession Fever. Primary source documents come alive.
- Critical Thinking/Research/Activities – Find the Fun Productions offers onscreen thoughtful and provocative questions that make students scratch their minds, to online study guides that target historical concepts. With discussion and interactive extension activities.
- Songs – Original songs that teach as well as entertain, offering opportunities to use skills such as compare and contrast.
An interview with Kathy Eschleman, Middle School Teacher
- How has Find the Fun Productions impacted your students?
Using Howard Egger-Bovet’s DVDs to teach history, my students have been able to make that critical connection, and actually learn and demonstrate their knowledge of historical facts.